[mova] the pronunciation of Kyiv

Wayles Browne ewb2 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:24:35 EDT 2006

Вибачте, я буду писати по ан„лiйському, тому що моя тема дотичить
власне ан„лiйської вимови.
I am afraid that the difficulty for Anglophones is not merely
understandable--it is unavoidable, even incurable.
I say this because of some facts about English vowels and syllables:
There are two kinds of syllables: one has a vowel at the end, like
English "go, see, too" etc., and the other kind has a vowel followed
by a consonant, like English "it, goat, book" etc.
For some languages, this doesn't make much difference. Indeed, it is
not important for present-day Ukrainian (though for older Ukrainian
it did make a difference). But for English it is important, because
different English vowels behave differently. The English long vowels
can be at the end of a syllable, or they can have a consonant after
them, so we can say "go" and "goat", "see" and "seem", "too" and
"tool". However, the English short vowels can't be at the end of a
syllable. They must have a consonant after them. So we can say "get"
but we can't say "ge..." in English, we can say "fat" but we can't
say "fa...", we can say "fun" but we can't say "fu...", and, now I'm
coming to my main point, we can say Lynch but we can't say "Ly...".
That also means that we can't say "Ky..." as a separate syllable,
whereas we can say "Ki..." as a separate syllable (as in the word
"key", for instance--that is a long vowel in English).
З пошаною
Wayles Browne

--

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu