[mova] [Fwd: [aaus-list] Ukraina TV and language teaching]

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Thu May 19 15:21:05 EDT 2005

fyi,

MP
pyz at brama.com
####################################

---------------------------- Message original ----------------------------
Objet:   [aaus-list] Ukraina TV and language teaching
De:      "Natalia Pylypiuk" <natalia.pylypiuk at ualberta.ca>
Date:    Lun 16 mai 2005 17:33
À:       aaus-list at ukrainianstudies.org
         "Roman Senkus" <r.senkus at utoronto.ca>

To Colleagues who teach Ukrainian at American and Canadian universities

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to the services of Ukraina TV
<www.UkrainaTV.com>

I have been a subscriber for several months now and find that the video
clips
of daily news, including sports, from various TV stations in Ukraine,
such as 5-yj kanal,
TSN (1+1), Novyj Kanal, etc., are very useful in my Ukrainian language
classes.

I often combine the viewing of news clips on the internet with the
reading of corresponding
news reports on the website of 5-yj kanal <http://5tv.com.ua/newsline/>
to create listening
and reading exercises that are devoted to current events.  Many of the
news items are sufficiently
brief to make them useful even in the beginning-language classroom.  It
helps to have a smart
classroom for this purpose!

Besides topical material about the world and Ukraine, news reports
address material relevant
to the season. Thus, during Christmas, Easter, etc. reports often  include
material relating to
the puppet theatre, caroling, the writing of pysanky, church services,
etc., all of which
enhances the study of culture and language as an integral process.

Ukraina TV also has music video clips, commercials and other materials  that
give a glimpse into contemporary youth culture. All of these can be
successfully adapted for the language
classroom.

The cost of subscribing to Ukraina TV, in my opinion, is very
reasonable.  The only problem with the website is the use
of the Soviet transliteration system. Thus, for example, *Braty
Hadiukiny*, *khloptsi*, and *Halyna* are all rendered
in the Russians fashion as *Braty Gadiukiny*, *hloptsi*,  and
*Gallina.*  But, with the help of a critical mass
of subscribers, we might be able to convince the managers to adopt the
Library of Congress system for the transliteration
of Ukrainian into English.

As you know, the news from Ukraine are very exciting nowadays. They can
be used imaginatively to attract
students to our classrooms.

Best wishes,
Natalia Pylypiuk

Dr. Natalia Pylypiuk, Associate Professor
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies  http://www.mlcs.ca
200 Arts, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada T6G 2E6
voice mail: (780) 492-3498

Canadian Association of Slavists
http://www.ualberta.ca/~csp/cas