Fwd: [mova] [Fwd: [aaus-list] Ukraina TV and language teaching]

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Fri May 20 06:56:03 EDT 2005

---------------------------- Message original ----------------------------
Objet:   Fwd: [mova] [Fwd: [aaus-list] Ukraina TV and language teaching]
De:      "K&I Bell" <kib at magma.ca>
Date:    Jeu 19 mai 2005 23:16
À:       natalia.pylypiuk at ualberta.ca
Copie à: pyz at brama.com

Shanovna pani Nataliu -
         I wonder if you know that www.ukrainatv.com originates in Toronto
? Done by a very nice young man, Vasyl Kapeniak, about whom there was a
half-page article in The Ukr Weekly last year.
         I remember he was concerned enough about transliteration to
contact us at the Chair of Ukrainian Studies, U of O., when he started up
his site, and I informed him about the LC transliteration and some slight
(non-Russian) variants that may be more acceptable in every-day use  (e.g.
 Yushchenko instead of Iushchenko, Andriy instead of Andrii etc.).  I'm
surprised to hear that the site uses the g's and i's instead of h's and
y's, but perhaps he is accommodating his clientele  that learned
transliteration in Ukraine ?
         At any rate, he is very approachable.   kontakt at ukrainatv.com
. Vs'oho dobroho,
                         Irena

>From: "Max Pyziur" <pyz at brama.com>
>To: mova at brama.com, uvc at brama.com
>fyi,
>MP
>pyz at brama.com
>
>---------------------------- Message original
---------------------------- Objet:   [aaus-list] Ukraina TV and language
teaching
>De:      "Natalia Pylypiuk" <natalia.pylypiuk at ualberta.ca>
>Date:    Lun 16 mai 2005 17:33
>À:       aaus-list at ukrainianstudies.org
>          "Roman Senkus" <r.senkus at utoronto.ca>

>To Colleagues who teach Ukrainian at American and Canadian universities
>
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I would like to draw your attention to the services of Ukraina TV
<www.UkrainaTV.com>

>I have been a subscriber for several months now and find that the video
clips
>of daily news, including sports, from various TV stations in Ukraine,
such as 5-yj kanal,
>TSN (1+1), Novyj Kanal, etc., are very useful in my Ukrainian language
classes.

>I often combine the viewing of news clips on the internet with the
reading of corresponding
>news reports on the website of 5-yj kanal <http://5tv.com.ua/newsline/>
to create listening
>and reading exercises that are devoted to current events.  Many of the
news items are sufficiently
>brief to make them useful even in the beginning-language classroom.  It
helps to have a smart
>classroom for this purpose!
>
>Besides topical material about the world and Ukraine, news reports
address material relevant
>to the season. Thus, during Christmas, Easter, etc. reports often
include material relating to
>the puppet theatre, caroling, the writing of pysanky, church services,
etc., all of which
>enhances the study of culture and language as an integral process.
>
>Ukraina TV also has music video clips, commercials and other materials
that give a glimpse into contemporary youth culture. All of these can be
successfully adapted for the language
>classroom.
>
>The cost of subscribing to Ukraina TV, in my opinion, is very
>reasonable.  The only problem with the website is the use
>of the Soviet transliteration system. Thus, for example, *Braty
>Hadiukiny*, *khloptsi*, and *Halyna* are all rendered
>in the Russians fashion as *Braty Gadiukiny*, *hloptsi*,  and
>*Gallina.*  But, with the help of a critical mass
>of subscribers, we might be able to convince the managers to adopt the
Library of Congress system for the transliteration
>of Ukrainian into English.
>
>As you know, the news from Ukraine are very exciting nowadays. They can
be used imaginatively to attract