[mova] spell = name ??

K&I Bell kib at magma.ca
Fri Oct 20 13:25:33 EDT 2006

Hello Mova -
	I found it strange that Spielberg's Kyiv movie was called 'Spell
your name', as I think there is really no such concept in Ukrainian
as 'spelling'.  Unlike English,  if you hear a word in Ukrainian you
know exactly how to spell it.
	I wonder how one would really translate into English "Nazvy svoie
im'ia", the Ukr title of the film ?  Sounds more to me like "Tell me
your name".
	But the English title likely came first, and then a Ukrainian title
had to be concocted.....
						Irena B
PS   bereft at not being able to follow my Kiev/Kyiv posting, as I
still haven't figured out how to add Ukr to my Eudora e-mail, though
I do have Ukr in Word docs ...