[mova] Ki-yev or Ky-yiv ?

Mykola Ponomarenko mykola at mykola.com
Mon Oct 16 17:24:49 EDT 2006

Hi Irena,
Fluent Ukrainian speaker, as I am, will say Ky-jiv in all situations. I
think you had experience NOT with people who speak Ukrainian naturally, but
with those who speak Russian naturally and know Ukrainian. They present
themselves to you as Ukrainians but in reality they are Russian speakers
from Ukraine. For them it is subconscious to say Ki-ev, especially when they
say it "in English" :))

Fershtain? ;)
-- Mykola