[mova] [Fwd: [SEELANGS] synonyms, Ukr. names, & hockey]

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sun Apr 16 20:38:59 EDT 2006

fyi,

MP
pyz at brama.com

Subject: [SEELANGS] synonyms, Ukr. names, & hockey
From:    "Prof Steven P Hill" <s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU>
Date:    Sun, April 16, 2006 1:36 am
To:      SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Dear helpful colleagues:

On behalf of Prof John D Rimberg ("John Rim"), I thank all of you who
suggested synonyms for feminine attractiveness.   I forwarded your
replies to Prof Rimberg, and he commented that the number of
replies was far more than he'd expected!

I myself raised a little Ukrainian  onomastic question a day or two  ago
(connected with ice hockey). But my little query appeared on
SEELANGS far down the batch of previous messages (including mine)  about
the folk musician Humeniuk, and apparently my "Ukrainian
hockey query" was lost in the shuffle.  So let me try it again, as
 follows --

[ .... ]
I am reminded of a similar surname, perhaps Ukrainian, perhaps
from some nearby Slavic territory, that I'd forgotten over half a
century.   Around 1950, in my native state of Oregon, there was
a professional (minor-league) ice hockey team called the Portland
Penguins.   And on the Penguins' front line one of the wings was
named GEORGE HOMENUK (spelling approximate; being a
monolingual youngster, I pronounced it "HOME-uh-nuck").
If memory serves, in Mr Homenuk's front line the center was an
Italian named Larry Silvestri; both scored plenty of goals and
assists for the old Penguins.

HERE IS MY LINGUISTIC QUESTION, for you Ukrainians and others.
Was Pawlo's surname (HUMENIUK) derived from the same ROOT,
or from a different root, than George's was derived (HOMENUK)?

Gratefully,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.

                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/