[mova] [Fwd: Re: [SEELANGS] Translation help]

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sun Jul 17 17:25:40 EDT 2005

Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Translation help
From:    "Timothy D. Sergay" <tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Date:    Wed, July 13, 2005 9:24 pm
To:      SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Dear Natalia,

    For "parasha," the English edition of Jacques Rossi's GULAG HANDBOOK
(Paragon House, 1989) has simply "latrine bucket" (and notes that it can
also refer to rumors); for "shmon," just "search" and terms based on
"search" (searcher, search facility and so on). Where "shmon" and related
forms refer to a rough police search of a premises, rather than someone's
person, I like the colloquial "toss": "The cops tossed the apartment,
looking for drugs." Some "hunch and google" work on the Internet indicates
 that "shit bucket" is the equivalent of "parasha" for English-speaking
prisoners; the duty of cleaning them is "slopping out" ("slop out the shit
 bucket"). I don't understand the form "shmonaie."

    Yours,

    Tim

 Although I know the meaning of *parasha* and *shmon* / serzhant

                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/