Period of the decline of Kyivan Rus
Other Important Developments
- Archbishop Bruno in Kyiv (mission to the Pechengs).
- Feuding among the sons of Volodymyr the Great.
- Boleslav I the Brave captures the Czerwienski lands.
- Iaroslav the Wise, prince of Kyiv.
- Break with Lystven; Prince Mstyslav.
- Return of the the Czerwienski lands. Settlement of the city of Yaroslav.
- Defeat of the Pechengs (1036). Construction of the Cathedral of St. Sophia (1037).
First Kyivan Litopys (c. 1039).
- Last attacks on Constantinople by the Rus'.
- Diplomatic missions from Paris to Kyiv (courting and marriage of Princess Anna,
daughter of Iaroslav the Wise, by King Henry I of France).
- Ilarion - first Kyivan Metropolitan - Rusyn.
- Start of a Polish archidiocese in Gniezno. Coronation of Stephan the Magyar by the Pope.
- Subjugation of the Bulgars by Byzantium.
- Coronation and death of Boleslav I the Great in Poland.
- Settlement of Iaroslav by Iuriyeva (Tartu).
- Hegemony of the Czechs over the western Slavs.
- Constructon of the Cathedral of St. Sophia in Novhorod.
- c. 1000
- Norseman in North America.
- Knut the Great in Denmark; union of England ( - 1042) and Norway (1028 - 35)
- Frankish/Salian dynasty in Germany.
- Henry I, king of France. (married to Anna, daughter of Iaroslav the Wise).
- First Spanish kings in Aragon and Castille.
- Pope Leo IX; beginning of reforms (abolition of simony; celibacy).
Formation of new state centers on the
territory of Kyivan Rus
- Division of lands by Iaroslav's progenitors. Triarchy and "Rus' Pravda" (-1073).
Adoption of Slavonic scriptures.
- First major attacks of the Polovets. First Kyivan Councel.
- "Izbornyk" of Prince Sviatoslav (1073-76)
- Prince Iziaslav visits Henry IV in Mainz. Coronation of Iarpolka Iziaslavych by
- Arrival of the Rostyslavtsi in Halychyna.
- Meeting of Kyivan princes in Liubech; division of hereditary lands.
- end of 11th cent.
- First attacks by the Magyars on Halychyna.
- Boleslav II (Smilyviy) of Poland.
- Pope Gregory VII's coronation of Boleslav II (Smilyviy) of Poland,
Zvnonymyr in Croatia and Michael in Montenegro.
- Coronation of Henry IV in Bratislava Czech Emperor.
- Schism of Eastern and Western Churches.
- Henry IV of Germany. (1089 marriage with the daughter of Kyivan Prince Vsevolod I of Ievparksiyeiu).
- Battle of Hastings; Norman conquest of England.
- Pope Gregory VII.
- Office of Spir.
- Commenus Dynasty in Byzantium.
- First confederacy of Lombard cities.
- First Crusade; Jerusalem under Christian control (1099).