OK - I'm Almost 'There' . . .

Gala Presentation Opera Cavalleria Rusticana ... anyarey@aol.com
Gala Presentation Opera Cavalleria Rusticana ... anyarey@aol.com

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BRAMA Travel Tips Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan on February 16, 2001 at 19:30:56:

In Reply to: Re: Hey Steve, About Those Exit Visas . . . posted by SteveK on February 16, 2001 at 13:29:30:

>>Ukrainian authorities do not recognize "Green cards". They are issued by the US government and don't mean anything outside of the United States.<<

Yes, I completely understand this point. Thanks.

>>However if someone is a Ukrainian citizen, that person has a Ukrainian passport. This document is issued by the Ukraine and that's what they recognize and rely on. If your Ukrainian passport doesn't have a stamp in it that says that you are permanently residing in the United States, then for a Ukrainian customs official it means that you must have a US visa in order to travel to the United States. If you don't have it then they are not going to let you though because they must assume that the US customs will not let you through. This stamp is called "Exit visa" by some people, however it has nothing to do with what this term really means. Think about it, ukrainian visa for a ukrainian citizen?<<

OK - this is where the confusion begins. Of course a Ukrainian citizen needs a visa (issued by America and inserted into their Ukrainian passport) for travel to America. Yet, your comment suggests there is a scenario in which the Ukraine citizen would NOT have an American-issued visa - AND - would be trying to travel to America. I'm not sure I see this as a legitimate scenario. Wouldn't the Ukraine citizen ALWAYS need a valid America-issued visa to be able to travel to America?

Are you saying that the visa supplied by America is what is known as the "Exit Visa"??

>>Also I believe if you stay in a foreign country for more than 90 days (I am not sure about how long) by Ukrainian law you must register with the local Ukrainian consulate. This is a simple process: you send them your passport and payment, they send it back to you with a stamp that says that you have been registered.<<

Yes, I have recently learned about this requirement - though Natasha in a post above this one offers the rationale as to why a Ukraine citizen may not wish to ever do this.

>>So an "exit visa" is a combination of these two stamps in your passport.<<

To be clear, the two "stamps" you refer are:

1) The visa issued by the United States that that is placed into the Ukraine citizen's passport, and

2) The OVIR registration from the Ukraine Embassy/Consulate in the country where that Ukraine citizen now permanently resides - also placed in the Ukraine citizen's passport.

Is this correct?

If so - I believe this is what I understood all along - and it is also the issue I was speculating might be causing the problems described by the original poster.

Sorry to ask such inane questions - but this issue has definitely been confusing for many - well, at least for me.

Thanks for trying to clear up my confusion.

- Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BRAMA Travel Tips Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]