Posted by Ranger on March 08, 2005 at 10:19:24:
In Reply to: Re: Attacks in Ukraine increased posted by Roger on March 08, 2005 at 04:34:33:
I was working on my last e-mail when we had a power blip due to a severe thunder storm. Apparently, lightning hit the power lines, so I may be repeating myself.
As an American Law Enforcement Officer I have had the opportunity to come to the aid of many a traveler that forgot some simple basic rules of survival.
First, attacks can and do occur anywhere.
1. Never travel alone after dark.
2. Never ventrure into strange territory without a trusted local.
3. Don't flash large sums of money about.
4. Avoid getting drunk in bars and public. You are just setting yourself up as a potential target..
5. Avoid being around loud, drunk patrons anywhere.
6. Avoid letting someone get behind you.
7. When in strange territory, keep a low profile and blend in with the locals. (Sometimes you need to keep your mouth shut and move on and avoid confrontations.)
8. It is wiser to turn and run than to try and fight a gang.
9. Never enter into a fight with a gang unless you have lots of backup with you.
I have traveled over the world and never had a problem. (Yes, Ukraine also>) Just be aware of your surroundings and think smart.
Post a Followup
FROM THE WEBMASTER - post only travel-related msgs. Report abuse here.
POSTS CONTAINING NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT OTHER BOARD CONTRIBUTORS
AND OTHER NON-TRAVEL INFO WILL BE DELETED
EVEN IF PART OF YOUR NOTE CONTAINS USEFUL INFORMATION.
PLEASE DO NOT PROVOKE AND REFRAIN FROM RESPONDING TO PROVOCATION.
POSTS CONTAINING NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT OTHER BOARD CONTRIBUTORS AND OTHER NON-TRAVEL INFO WILL BE DELETED EVEN IF PART OF YOUR NOTE CONTAINS USEFUL INFORMATION. PLEASE DO NOT PROVOKE AND REFRAIN FROM RESPONDING TO PROVOCATION.