[mova] G and H - Slavorum says no difference

I Bell ib at magma.ca
Mon Oct 17 18:29:39 EDT 2016

Is it written with two 'cc'  in Russian ?
And great to have someone from Vernadsky National Library in Mova !
Hello Nadiya !
         Irena
PS  unfortunately my system can only read some cyrillic, depending on
fonts used ...

At 11:07 AM 10/17/2016, Nadiya Strishenets wrote:
>  Dear all,
>  As for me, Ukrainians see the difference between G and H. They
> might have problems with transliteration.
>I have another question: why in English texts the name of Ukrainian
>city Odesa is always written as  "Odessa".
>Thank you.
>Sincerely,
>Nadiya Strishenets
>Senior Researcher, Acquisitions and Collection Development Center
>V.Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine
>3, Holosiivsky pr., Kyiv, 03039
>Tel. 38 (044) 524-4597
>nadiyastr at yahoo.com
>www.nbuv.gov.ua
>

>On Saturday, October 15, 2016 8:47 PM, I Bell <ib at magma.ca> wrote:
>Greetings Mova group - (do we still exist ?)  -
>         Below, my recent correspondence with a friend.  If anyone
>has any comments re G and H , I'd be interested to hear  .... do
>Ukrainians in Ukraine really see no difference ...
>                         Thanks,
>                                 Irena

> >The second "fact" about Ukrainians listed in this article surprised me.
> ><<http://www.slavorum.org/interesting-facts-about-the-ukrainian-lan
> guage-you-may-want-to-know/>http://www.slavorum.org/interesting-facts-about-the-ukrainian-language-you-may-want-to-know/>http://www.slavorum.org/interesting-facts-about-the-ukrainian-language-you-may-want-to-know/
>

> >I am absolutely certain that I can hear a distinct difference
> >between G and H, and could from day one.
> >P....
>
>Hi P..... -
>         I can easily tell the difference too !    I think Russian
>has been so implanted in Ukrainian heads, that they may really not
>tell the difference, as there is no H in Russian.
>         I remember that in Russian they talked and wrote of Golivud
>and Gitler  ... then they realized they'd better use the KH sound -
>KHolivud and KHitler, which was a bit better .... but still not great ...
>         Ukrainians bought into it to such an extent that Gov Gen
>Hnatyshyn was welcomed in Ukraine with also English signs  - Gnatishin !
>         I'm not on Facebook, so couldn't post a comment on the
>Slavorum site ...
>                                 Irena

Irena Bell,  Producer and Host
The Ukrainian Hour,
Saturdays 9 - 10 p.m. AND Sundays 6 - 7 p.m.
on Radio CHIN - CJLL - 97.9 FM,  Ottawa and http://chinradioottawa.com
Previous several shows are on  http://chinradioottawa.com  . Click on
Podcasts, then Ukrainian.
1391 Wellington St. W. Ottawa, Canada,  K1Y 2X1
adminottawa at chinradio.com
DidYouKnow's
:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-1p5NiSu_alv5zvUjEpsKjX2_4rb0vGc