[mova] Gorillas in Ukraine - transliterated !

I Bell ib at magma.ca
Mon Jul 16 21:15:08 EDT 2012

Forwarding a lovely example of Ukrainian-English transliteration via
Russian ! Will the G vs H, and I vs Y never end ..... Irena

>From: Ihor Bardyn <iwbardyn at rogers.com>
>Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:07:00 -0400
A "Gorilla" has joined the elephant in the room!

  Thanks for the great response to my request for the lyrics to Horila Sosna.
  I must share with you a humorous yet dim-witted &sad piece of information.
  I wrote to CUPP 2012 Interns for help with locating the lyrics in
both Ukrainian and English to the song Horila Sosna.
   I was aware that there are variations in the lyrics and although I
like every version, the one from the Uzhorod-Karpatyregion I find
particularly charming.
  Somehow, due to my lack of expertise with my new i-Mac computer, my
request for the lyrics was sent not only to the CUPP 2012 Interns who
are coming to Ottawa soon, but also to members of several other CUPP
years or their friends.
  Among the several replies, I received the lyrics with the title
"Gorilla Sosna".
   I showed the letter to my office staff, one of whom is from
Slovenia, who commented, " I didn't know that Ukraine had jungles and
gorillas" I laughed as did the others.
  Of course, Ukraine does not have jungles,or gorillas!
  Well, maybe not jungles, but apparently it does have "Gorillas."
  To use a well worn idiomatic expressed, "there is an elephant in
the room."  And it seems there is a gorilla in the room as well. But
these animals should not be allowed to survive in so many rooms in Ukraine.
  Too many of the minds of Ukrainians, even the minds of well
educated youth who strive for knowledge and education, still carry a
mind-set and the influence of a foreign language that although should
be respected like every other language, should not make Ukrainians
ape their neighbours to the north and thereby distort their own language.
  Is this "Gorilla" mind-set ever going to end or is Ukrainian youth
oblivious to respect for its own language and culture? Oblivious to
simple transliteration from Ukrainian to English?
  How do you suggest this issue of the pervasive influence of
russification be approached?  Or is this insignificant, after all, VSE RAVNO!

Irena Bell,  Producer and Host
The Ukrainian Hour,  Sundays 5:00 - 6:00  PM
on Radio CHIN - CJLL - 97.9 FM,  Ottawa
Streamed on  http://chinradioottawa.com/ukrainian.html
(podcasting temporarily suspended as web site being revamped)
30 Murray St. Ottawa, Canada K1N 5M4
DidYouKnow's are on http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8914D5DF7F79B5FB