[mova] Jobs w/ tenure aren't what they used to be, was [Fwd: Re: [SEELANGS] Language programs terminated at SUNY-Albany]

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Wed Oct 6 16:01:23 EDT 2010

>From one of the articles cited below:
Disappearing Languages at Albany
"October 4, 2010
The State University of New York at Albany's motto is "the world within
reach." But language faculty members are questioning the university's
commitment to such a vision after being told Friday that the university
was ending all admissions to programs in French, Italian, Russian and
classics, leaving only Spanish left in the language department once
current students graduate. The theater department is also being
eliminated.

Ten tenured faculty members in language programs were told Friday that
they would have two years of employment in which to help current students
finish their degrees, but that they would then be out of their jobs,
according to several who were at the meeting. About 20 adjuncts and
several others on the tenure track but not tenured are also at risk of
losing their jobs, potentially even earlier, although details are not
available."

fyi,

MP
pyz at brama.com