[mova] Spell your name - film

Hanya hanya at brama.com
Wed Mar 4 21:03:29 EST 2009

Ireno - I didn't forget to ask your question at the screening, but I don't
have a complete answer yet. It turns out that my premises were wrong about
the film title "Spell Your Name." Bukovsky chose that title from the
interviews that were conducted for the film - not based on a phrase that
might have been used during the Holocaust. That doesn't fully explain it
thought, unless we assume that this is a common question given the
differences between Ukrainian and Russian. I think the answer is that it
simply sounded better in English.

I can't write much more now, but the film is available on DVD with
Ukrainian narration, only I'm not sure where to buy that version. The one
that is sold at the Jewish Heritage Museum is with Russian narration and
English subtitles. Will try to get more info.

Incidentally, I loved the film. Bukovsky did an excellent job. More later.

- Hanya

--
Less is more, more or less.
- Mies van der Rohe