[mova] accent: VOlyn' or VolYn' ?

K&I Bell kib at magma.ca
Wed Jun 7 17:15:31 EDT 2006

Dobryi den' -
         In doing my radio programme, I'm conscious of, and
frequently run into differences of opinion, as to where the accent
should go in Ukrainian words.  E.g. kAzhu vs kazhU; dAla vs dalA;
platYt' vs plAtyt' etc.
         The latest example is Volyn (because of the Volyn Song &
Dance Co. coming to Ottawa on June 25), as I'll be promoting their
concert on radio.  I've been used to VOlyn' rather than VolYn'. But
as my reference tools seem to indicate that the accent on the second
syllable, VolYn', is correct, I've been willing to change.  Now I
learn that my friend's mother, who comes from Volyn, pronounces it
with the accent on the first syllable, VOlyn'  !!  So ! I assume that
both are correct !!??
                                 Irena
Irena Bell,  Producer & Host,
Ukrainian Radio Programme, CHIN Ottawa 97.9 FM
Fridays 10-11p.m. & Saturdays 8-9a.m.
Can also be heard at above times on www.chinradio.com
Suite 100, 30 Murray St. Ottawa K1N 5M4
Tel. (613) 244-0979 ext 413;   Fax (613) 244-3858
E-mail: chinottawa at chinradio.com