[mova] Ukrainian noun?

Nadiya Strishenets nadiyastr at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 05:26:10 EDT 2005

Wayles Browne wrote:
<Can someone tell me the meaning of rahul'stvo >

  I have never heard this word (rahul'stvo) before but
after the short investigation can assume that it is
derived from Lviv dialect word "rahul'". According to
Ukrainian sites in the Internet "rahul" means not very
educated, uncouth, unintellectual person. Very often
people from the country are called in such way.
   Hope it will help. Thank you for new words in my
dictionary.

        With all the best,
                          Nadiya.

--- Wayles Browne <ewb2 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Can someone tell me the meaning of rahul'stvo in a
> sentence like:
> "Tse odyn z proyaviv nashoho natsional'noho
> provintsializmu i rahul'stva"?
> Many thanks in advance,
> --
>
> Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
> Department of Linguistics
> Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University
> Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.
>
> tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
> fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
> e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu

Nadiya Strishenets
Head, Department of the United Nations Publications
V.Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine
3, pr.40-richia Zhovtnia   Kyiv, 03039
Tel./Fax  38 (044) 264-1594
E-mail: nadiyastr at yahoo.com