[mova] [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Yushchenko's command of Russian, as well as characteristics of his Ukrainian]]

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue Apr 19 14:59:16 EDT 2005

fyi,

MP
pyz at brama.com

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Yushchenko's command of Russian, as well as
characteristics of his Ukrainian] From:    "Peter Voitsekhovsky"
<pvoitsekhovsky at gvpt.umd.edu>
Date:    Tue, April 19, 2005 2:24 pm
To:      pyz at brama.com

Mr Pyziur -

I've got a few comments in answer to your question. I spent five months in
Ukraine during the election campaign and the revolution, and of course
heard Yushchenko on various occasions before,  including his appearance in
Washington in 2003 --  and this is what I have observed.

Yushchenko did say more than once in the course of the campaign that he is
not comfortable speaking Russian. I did not take this seriously,  until I
saw him talk with a Russian TV reporter - and he apparently had to make an
effort to switch from Ukrainian into Russian. He displayed what linguists
call a Ukrainian-Russian interference; a rather unusual phenomenon in Kyiv
and non-western Ukraine because with most U/R bilinguals it is the other
way round (their Russian interfering with their Ukrainian). (There are
certainly some bilinguals who speak both languages brilliantly, but those
would be well-educated language professionals for the most part.) In
Yushchenko's Russin speech, such interference can be seen in occasionally
incorrect grammar (borrowings of Ukrainian grammar patterns), as well as
the phonetic accent. Also he exhibits slightly more tension when he speaks
Russian.

My assumption is that he has had no Russian-speaking environment since he
married Kateryna, and perhaps for even a longer time than that. But as a
former Soviet government official, he certainly had to speak Russian a lot
in the past.   What's remarkable * and paradoxical in a way * is that his
"natural" Ukrainian does carry an imprint of  Russian in it, apparently it
reflects the way the speak in his native Horuzhivka near the Russian
border. This imprint is a dialectal use of Russian vocabulary instead of
"literary" Ukrainian words; at times, the impression it makes really gets
close to surzhyk; although in fact, in Yushchenko's case this is not
surzhyk, but simply dialectal use of separate words in a non-literary way.

Generally, Yushchenko's speech style has changed a great deal overthe last
year or so. In 2002 and 2003, journalists still used to mocked him for a
habit of speaking in very complicated language, some heavy
technocratic-scholarly jargon, with long sentences and a shortage of
simple words.  He also had a skill of speaking in a colorful "folk" style
* and he has been doing this a lot more often and more effectively now.
Some of the gems of that kind are his speech in the Rada after the
poisoning, as well as his recent speech in Dnipropetrivsk.

I do find Yushchenko's speaking traits to be an important personal
characteristic, which is why I have attempted to write this elaborate
answer.

Sincerely,

Peter Voitsekhovsky
Graduate Fellow