[mova] Yushchenko's command of Russian, as well as characteristics of his Ukrainian

baranetsky at pol.net baranetsky at pol.net
Mon Apr 18 15:03:56 EDT 2005

I don't know how well Yushchenko speaks Russian vis-à-vis Putin, but
noticed in the same comparative vein an interesting observation in the
latest NY Review of Books (www.nybooks.com/articles/17957)that:
"Yushchenko and Tymoshenko speak better Ukrainian than Kuchma and
Yanukovych do. They also speak better Russian."!

As a personal observation, I am amazed at the variety and quality of the
Ukrainian language that is posted on the various web journals, including
Den', Zerkalo Nedili, Postup, Lviv Gazette etc. Paradoxically, even many
of the "central" and "eastern" authors are more easily understood by me
than some of the "western" ones.

I would guess that the speaking knowledge of Russian by Ukrainian citizens
runs even a larger gamut and would be hard-pressed to be understood by St.
Petersburg residents.

Adrian B.