BRAMA, June 3, 2003, 9:00 am ET|
CIUS Press is pleased to introduce a new Book of the Month program. Each month, CIUS Press will feature one of its 130 book titles at a special 40% discount sale price. Our first Book of the Month feature for June 2003 is:
Hryhorij Savyc Skovoroda: An Anthology of Critical Articles
xv, 319 pp.
Edited by Richard H. Marshall and Thomas E. Bird
Sale Price: $26.97 (Reg. $44.95) Save 40%!
(Canadian orders add 7% GST. Add 10% for shipping ($4 min.) Orders outside of Canada are payable in US dollars.)
This title is a collection of essays about the eminent Ukrainian philosopher and poet Hryhorij Skovoroda (1722-1794), a major figure in the history of Ukrainian and Russian literature and philosophy. Educated at the Kyiv Mohyla Academy, Skovoroda served variously as music director of the Russian imperial mission in Hungary, private tutor, and instructor of ethics and poetics at the Kharkiv Collegium. The last decades of his life, which he spent wandering about eastern Ukraine, were devoted to writing and contemplation.
An array of prominent scholars, including Dmytro Chyzevskyj, Stephen Scherer, and George Y. Shevelov, examine this unique figure from a number of perspectives: historical, social, literary, pedagogical, linguistic, theological, and philosophical.
Table of Contents:
- Foreword by Marc Raeff
- An Introduction to the Life and Thought of H.S. Skovoroda by Dmytro Cyzevsk'kyj
Part One: Skovoroda and Society
- Skovoroda and Society by Stephen P. Scherer
- H.S. Skovoroda as Teacher: The Image as Model
Part Two: Skovoroda and Literature
- Prolegomena to Studies of Skovoroda's Language and Style by George Y. Shevelov
- The Poetry of Skovoroda by Karen L. Black
- Gogol' and H.S. Skovoroda: The Problem of the External Man" by Mikhail Weiskopf
- Andrej Belyj and Hryhorij Skovoroda by Aleksandr Lavrov
- From Strength to Strength: Observations on Hryhorij Skovoroda and Vasyl' Barka by Bohdan Rubchak
- Textological Notes on Skovoroda's Alphabet by Bohdan Strumiski
Part Three: The Philosophy and Theology of Skovoroda
- Skovoroda's Metaphysics by George L. Kline
- Skovoroda's Moral Philosophy by Taras Zakydalsky
- An Introduction to the Theological Thought of Hryhorij Skovoroda by Petro B.T. Bilaniuk
- A Note on the Character, Orthodoxy, and Significance of Skovoroda's Thougth by Stephen P. Scherer
- A Bibliography of Skovorodiana by Richard Hantula (310 items)
View 28 sample pages and 4 reviews online at www.utoronto.ca/cius/webfiles/salesandspecials/bookofthemonth/botm0603.htm.
Ready to Order? Just choose and option below or print out the PDF order form and send it to us.
E-mail: Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your billing address, item(s) ordered, and credit card information.
Telephone: Call (780) 492-2973 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm (MST / -0700 UTC) and have your credit card ready.
Fax: Fax (780) 492-4967 with your billing address, payment method, and item(s) ordered.
Mail: Send your billing address, payment method, and item(s) ordered to CIUS Press, 450 Athabasca Hall, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB,
Canada T6G 2E8
is the largest publisher of English-language material about Ukraine. It is the publishing arm of the Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies at the University of Alberta and the University of Toronto. The emergence of Ukraine as an independent state has focused general and scholarly interest on Ukrainian studies, and CIUS Press is meeting that interest and need with a sizeable offering of new, forthcoming, and already published books.
Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies Press
University of Toronto
1 Spadina Cres., Rm. 109
Canada M5S 2J5
Web site: www.utoronto.ca/cius